Buongiorno

bacio-immagine-animata-0053

Thursday, November 22, 2018

Retro

NB: This photo taken from Internet - should owner not
be in showing agreement, please just let me know I
will take it down. Thank you.

Why have I taken this retro photo?
I have 3 great-great aunt who early 1900 left their
mountain village in south-east of Italy and try
their fortune in the "America", land of wealth and
opportunities, so it was said, by people who had
managed to go there but for a reason or another had
to return back home.  At least those who made it back,
in those days people had to sell their bodies,soul and
minds to be able to more from one country to another.
Most families struggled to let go of their husbands,
sons & daugthers who were left behind would pray
to see them again or hoped to see them alive.
Those who came back were either sick beyond
possibilities of recovering their health, whatever
economies they did would not be enough to cure
them back  in their home country.
Poor people looked upon as slave they were
looked upon as aliens.  Most wanted to turn around
but without money for the passage, they had no choice
than to bear it.  Their lives were regarded as non humans
beggars and as such maltreated.
Slowly, working, begging, slaving, they made some
progress and organized themselves for the future of
their children, forgetting they already had a family
at the old country.
Now here I am looking, searching, digging, into their
lives, questioning who they were, when did they arrive,
how was their lives, did they suffer, had they a chance
to laugh at times, or was it always misery day in - day out,
do I still have roots in the old country or was it all
destructed by the two world wars, a heart quake or a natural
disaster...
How can someone search for that passage of time if I do
not even know their births,marriage, death dates. 
Can or do I have a right to know it...
Mainly all this search is to find out
WHO I AM,
and where do
I COME FROM
surely not to judge them of their past actions
that impacted my life today.

No comments: