Buongiorno

bacio-immagine-animata-0053

Monday, September 3, 2018

When my bones protest...

I'm part of the older generation emigrated
in the mid-1950...
Wowww that's old you will say!
I learned the old traditions from my grandmother
my mother too busy at work because we came here
with a carton suitcase, a few clothing items and
lots of hope to make a life in "America", because
we did not make the distinction between the
USA and Canada then.
So every end of summer we have to make homemade
tomato concentrate, peppers either pickled or roasted
and frozen.  Not to forget that later on there is the
cabbage and the wine, at times we make cheese and
some sausages.
This past weekend it was the 15 bushels of tomato concentrate
Well let me tell you it's backbone braking, first wash tomatoes,
then boil them for 5 minutes, then let them drip, pass them
in a cruncher, have the 1 litre jars ready & fill them.
close them tightly and then we have to boil them in
huge pans and let them cool in that water after 30 boil.
But who invented all this work? mind you the difference
when you do your sauce is noticeable from any junk that
you buy in stores.  Roasted peppers 2 bushels, peel them,
clean and let them drip.  Then make portions in zip locks
and freeze them, in winter one medium size pepper costs
$2.00.   Hey life is what it is & being a pensioner need to
save some pennies.  So for this year, my peppers
and tomato concentrate is DONNNNEEEEEEE.

So now I can return to my pass time (writing) or at least
put down some words and ideas & associate it with my
photos until it's time for more back breaking work.



No comments: